Monday 2 September 2013

The Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella


“I love new clothes. If everyone could just wear new clothes everyday, I reckon depression wouldn't exist any more.” 


When you can't afford to shop, sometimes reading about the latest trends in magazines can get you through. The Shopaholic books are just like that. Only the detailed descriptions of the different steps of shopping almost can recreate that same buzz, of finding something you love and making it yours.  From spotting that perfect dress, to trying it on, to falling in love with it, to convincing yourself that it is worth the price tag and finally being handed it over the counter in a crisp new bag. These books are perfect for any shopaholic out there who wants to relive the reason why shopping feels so good!

Sophie Kinsella has invented the fantastic heroine Becky Bloomwood who loves to live in her own world. This can sometimes get her into trouble and she never learns her lesson. Confessions of a Shopaholic follows her through her rapid imagination as it jumps from shopping to far-fetched dreams while trying to make it through reality. These books are a really easy, pick-me-up read. Becky Bloomwood is a hilarious character who we can all relate to when you find yourself wishing for all life's beautiful things. It make's me sad to think that she isn't a real person because I think we could have really hit it off!

After seeing the film Confessions of a Shopaholic many times, I wasn't very keen to read the book as I thought I would find it predictable because I know the film so well. But when I found a copy in a charity shop I thought I'd give it a whirl! A few chapters in, I noticed that although the book includes all the same characters, the general plot is quite different. So if you love the film like me, don't let this put you off. Also this series gives you the chance to follow Becky through new stages of her life.

I can't wait to curl up tonight with a Shopaholic book! I'm just starting Shopaholic & Sister and so far, it's not let me down!

Have you read any of the Shopaholic books?

No comments:

Post a Comment